I was looking through the soap cabinet trying to think of ideas, when I noticed my Crafter's Choice silicone loaf mold on the bottom shelf...which was being used as a storage container for some fragrance oils. I thought I'd convert it into a slab mold and see how the bars turn out. After some calculations, I settled on 14 ounces of oils with a 33% lye concentration...and because it was such a small batch, I measured everything in grams.
a bar in the mold to show the depth
The two black dots on the mold in the upper left corner are where I marked the bars to be 1.75" or 2" wide. I went with 1.75" wide, and got 4 bars out of the batch ..and a little leftover piece.
Because I hand cut the bars, they did not all weigh the same...they ranged anywhere from 3.8 oz.- 4.2 oz. I really tried to cut each bar at 1.75" wide, but a few were a little bigger. The results are long, narrow and chunky bars (just a smidge over an inch thick). Here are a couple pics of the bars, after I cleaned them up:
Sea Salt Yuzu
I don't know why I didn't think of this before (using my loaf mold as a slab mold)....it's definitely saved me time and money by not having to make or buy one!
As promised, here are the failed three batches from last time. I won't go into detail...seizing, ricing, lye pockets.....they all went into the garbage!
seized...cut bars had some lye pockets
acceleration again, but not as bad as the first batch..
..thought these were fine, but after a week they zapped