Ok, now on to something that's been on my to-do list, but I wasn't so sure about doing it...using beeswax in soap. I read a few online tutorials, searched soap forums, and took as many notes as I could. When I was going over the steps in my head, the two main things that kept coming to mind were keeping the temps warmer and working fast. I've made two batches using beeswax now, and I didn't have any problems...my only complaint is the bubble wrap look (you'll see why a bit later).
honey and beeswax
This is the unscented batch, yet it smells really good!
Here are some pics of the process. I used beeswax at 2%.
There are no pics of what's next because I had to work fast. I tried to keep soaping temps at 115 degrees (Fahrenheit). Once all the hard oils were melted, I added them to the soft oils...and then added in the warmed up honey. I stickblended and stickblended to make sure all was mixed well...then I added the lye water. Another quick burst with the stickblender and then stir..it moves fast. Then pour into mold...I lined the bottom of the mold with bubble wrap.
Once poured, I put bubble wrap over the top also.
Here is the honey and beeswax batch, cut into bars:
Now here's the bubble wrap thing. The picture below is my first batch. I scented it with Oatmeal and Honey (smells like a honey and oats granola bar)...it discolors to a dark brown. When I made this batch, I used an old piece of bubble wrap....it was practically deflated, so it didn't make a good "honeycomb" impression. Also, this batch moved faster and was much thicker when I poured it into the mold, so the design ended up looking smooshed. Smells great though!
I used new bubble wrap for the unscented batch and the design turned out a little better, but I'm still on the fence about it. If I make this again, I might skip the bubble wrap. I also planed the bars of both batches because they were really bumpy...and because I didn't want to have any waste, I combined the shavings of both and heated them up in a bit of water in the double boiler. Once the soap was softened, I packed it into a yogurt cup to make another bar of soap.